This article explains how to create and edit fields. Fields may be plan-level, work-level, and resource-level metadata fields.
Go to the Admin pages, select Fields in the navigation. Then, expand the Plan Fields, Work Fields, or Resource Fields topic headings.
- Plan fields show on the Plan Details page and Portfolios page.
- Work fields show on the work plan pages - the grid, scheduler, and board. They also show on the My Work & Timesheet modules.
- Resource fields show on the resource form, and are used in the resource planner & scheduler as well.
Some fields may be created automatically upon installing certain apps. For example, when the Timesheets app, Backlog List app, etc.
Create New Field
- Navigate to the type of field you want to create (Plan, Work, or Resource).
- Click the New Field button. the New [field type] Field form will open.
- Complete the New Field form.
- Field Name: Enter a name for the field.
- Description: Enter a description of the field function, or how the user should interact with the field. This text will appear as a tooltip when a user interacts with the field.
- Internal Name: Will display the internal (back-end) field name when applicable.
- Field Type: Select the field type. See Field Types for more details.
- Default Value: Enter a default value if applicable.
- Required: Check the check box if the field is required.
- Read Only: Check the check box if the field is read only.
- Available Plan Types: Select one or more plan types where the field is available. If no plan type is selected, it will be available for all plan types.
- Text: Users can enter one line of free form text.
- Date: Users can select a date from a calendar pop up.
- Number: Users can enter a numeric value. The admin can set how many decimal places are allowed. See Number Fields for more detail.
- Currency: Select a currency. The admin can set up multiple currencies if your organization works cross-nationally. To configure currencies and exchange rates, see What are the advanced Financial Plan settings?
- YesNo: Users can check a check box to indicate Yes or No.
- NOTE: The default value for YesNo fields must be set to "false".
- Choice: Enter choices. See Choice Fields for more detail.
- User: People picker field, tied to user accounts
- Multi Line Text: Users can enter multiple lines of free text.
- Lookup: Users can create relationships between plans in the system.
- Multi Lookup: Users can create relationships between plans in the system.
For additional details about the Lookup fields types, refer to the article: How do I manage lookup & multi-lookup fields?
Based on the field type selected, the Field Aggregate may show.
- For date fields, select No, Min, or Max.
- For number and currency fields, select None, Sum, Average, Min or Max.
Default Value: Set the default value, if applicable.
Required: Select the check box if this field is required.
Read Only: Select the check box to make this field read only. Use cases for this - applicable if this field will be used as a total cost field to be populated by the total of a cost type. Or, if the data is populated via an integration rather than manual entry.
Allow Adding Values: Select the check box if your field is a choice field and you want to allow users to add their own values, other than the available choices.
If the field type is Number, you may specify the number of decimal places allowed (between 0-5) and whether to show the number as a percent.
Certain fields are recommended to configure before use of OnePlan. The Resource fields Department and Role and very important for all the resource planning and labor cost planning features.
- Navigate to the type of field you want to update (Plan, Work, or Resource).
- Click the Edit icon.
- Complete the New Field form.
NOTE: The field type cannot be edited after a field is created.
CAUTION: If you delete a field, any data entered in that field will also be deleted. So, be sure you are certain you want to delete it before you delete a field.
Click the Delete trash can icon to delete a field. Confirm deletion.
Arrange Field Order
To arrange the order of the Task or Resource fields on the corresponding form, select the field row & drag up or down. The thin green line will show where the field will go. Plan fields order are managed via the Plan Details settings.